[AT] Cummins 250 Information

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 18:38:58 PST 2004

--- "Allen V. Pruehs" <avpruehs at cac.net> wrote:

> I am looking for information on the Cummins 250
> engine. What problems were
> these engines prone to? Were they available with a
> higher horsepower output
> rating; if so, how high? Looking at an old truck to
> haul antique tractors
> and engines to shows and pulls.

Allen, NT 250 and all those 855ci engines were very
strong with lots of low end torque but not much top
end horsepower.  I manage 3 in our fleet (well,
actually NTC 230's).  We only have Spicer 6 speed
tranny's in them and I think it would be better with a
9 speed or so.  Maybe not the most fuel efficient but
on par with other engines of the same era.  Cummins
pushed them up to 400hp with no MAJOR changes.  They
still use the same displacement and now deliver 600
factory horsepower (probably not the same engine
except for the size, I guess).
My understanding of the history (hearsay only, could
be WAY off???) is that Cummins built the 855 series to
compete with Mack and the Maxidyne engine.  There is a
lot to say for having pulling power from 1000/1200 RPM
on up.
I rather like this engine and later derivatives, very
dependable and relatively inexpensive to repair.
Need block heat this time of year and an ether
injecter wouldn't hurt either.  Oh, they are very cold
running engines, don't build much heat at all, not
real sure why they even bothered with a cooling
system.  My theory is that those huge cylinders don't
need to work very hard, so, no heat generated.
Problems?  Like most large truck engines they really
don't like to be overspeeded, bends pushtubes
(pushrods).  Also always nice to have Jake brake or
similar, but that applies to all diesels.  Cummins are
the easiest to prime if run out of fuel,  fill the
filter and start!
If you need any more information, e-mail me off list
and I'll help all I can.

=====
Dave Myers
Paw Paw, Michigan

Being crazy just helps me keep my sanity!