[AT] Arc Welding ?

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Nov 11 07:34:16 PST 2004

> Reports of contact lenses being "welded" to the cornea (or lens of the
> eye) as a result of exposure to an arc flash have been proven to be
> incorrect. It is impossible for contact lenses to become "welded" to the
> cornea.

I doubt the weld flash could cause welding to the cornea, but I do know from
experience such welding is possible another way.  My son was doing a minor
rocker panel repair on his car using fiberglass.  He was laying on the floor
working on the under side.  One drop of resin fell into his eye.  The
acetone in the resin dissolved the lens and damaged the cornea enough that
the resultant stuck together mess had to be surgically removed.  I can still
hear his screams of agony.

Yes, we both know it was a mistake to work without eye protection!

George Willer