[AJD] Antique Tractor Gas Tank sealer

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Tue Nov 9 18:07:09 PST 2004

Hi Dean!   I've had some experience with old gas tanks and have had good
results as follows:    If there's a bunch of rust inside drop in a bunch of
chain--like tire chain side chain and rattle the chain around in the tank
to break loose the worst of the rust (also good for dislodging pine needles
and critter droppings).  Fish out the chain and blow out as much of the
junk as you can with compressed air.  Mix up some TSP or other strong water
soluable detergent and slosh it around in the tank.  Find a friend with a
pressure washer--or better yet a steam cleaner and stick the nozzle in the
tank and let it run awhile.  Let the tank sit until it is dry inside.  Get
a tank sealer kit for about $25 (includes a quart of mild acid etch and a
quart or so of sealer) and follow the directions.  Nice thing is you can
reuse the etch and the sealer on 4 or 5 tanks since you pour out the excess
after coating the tank.  Works good.   John