[AT] OT: Firey End to My Car

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Nov 1 20:56:30 PST 2004

Had a tractor try to do that once.  I saw the smoke though and could
disconnect the battery.

A short to ground in a starter often allows so much juice to flow the
selenoid contacts melt or fuse together, in essence keeping the starter
circuit on even after you let go of the key.  The juice flows at an
impressive rate until the battery drains.  A selenoid whose copper tipped
or plated contacts have eroded to the underlying steel will do this too(the
steel may then welds itself together - The tractor did this).  I doubt the
selenoid though because I have to believe your VW uses a start relay
instead.  Fire is a common outcome unless you stick around to see smoke and
can disconnect the battery.

Glad you are OK and hope nothing of tremendous sentimental value was in the
car

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!