[AJD] Listed Crop Cultivator

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Nov 29 18:19:58 PST 2004

Ron & Dennis:

I have always wanted to see what a ROM lock looked like. Anyone have a
picture or refer me to a parts catalog that shows one. I've also wondered
why the locks were used when a tractor could be purchase with a non-Rom
front end. But I guess I can see where the lock was only needed in certain
situations.

I know when we were still checking corn, the fields got really rough. And
then we disked diagonally too.

I've also seen where one front wheel could be extended in front of the other
on a ROM. That would have been really helpful when cross cultivating.

Lot's of gadgets we never saw on our farm. I guess we were just tough old
buggers and used guts and glory to get through this stuff.

I do know that a cab on the tractor would have made life a lot more
comfortable in the spring and fall.  Not for heat or air conditioning, just
to slow down the stinking wind and dust. All we ever had was a "Heat Hauser"
and that was primarily used on the loader tractor in the winter. At 40 below
zero that was a real lifesaver, if the Plexiglas didn't crack! I now wonder
how in the heck we ever got the tractor started. No heated buildings on our
farm. In fact the house was even questionable about whether it was really
heated. I do remember snow drifting through the windows sills and the
chamber pots freezing at night. I'm not sure our old house even slowed down
the wind. It was a real joy when a new house was built in 1948. We were in
pig heaven! Even had indoor toilets and running water.

I see the farmers now out in the fully enclosed air conditioned cabs with
stereo, GPS and radio communications and I wonder how we ever got anything
done.  I found out that the cab alone on one of my brothers tractors cost
more than any complete tractor I ever had the opportunity to use in the 40's
& 50's. Maybe that is why I left the farm!

I have a fetish about cold today. It dropped down to 25 degrees here last
night. That is cold for us folks who live near the coast. That is only 65
degrees warmer than some weather I worked in, in NW Iowa years ago. What a
city wimp.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door