[AJD] JD B flywheel crank

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Nov 27 11:05:34 PST 2004

Duane:

The eBay auction is still running # 3855280526. Yes, the seller mentioned it
was for unstyled B's which is true but could be misunderstood. BO/BR's were
unstyled all the way to the end in 1947 and the later years electric
starting was an option. Also, electric start styled B's from 1939 to mid
1947 could also use this starting wheel. As well as other model electric
start JD tractors as long as they had the cast ratchet as part of the
flywheel and these ratchets were standard issue on electric start tractors
to mid 1947.

I think what you may be overlooking is, there really isn't a safe way to
hand start an electric start tractor w/o using something like this. The
flywheel isn't nice and smooth with clearance all around to allow hand
clearance for hand starting. On electric start tractors, there is a ring
gear on the flywheel which is sharp and nasty and the starter gets right in
the way for your hands to grip the flywheel. It would be very dangerous
trying to hand turn a ring geared flywheel.

That is why these external adapter pins and wheels were made available along
with in some cases longer extension rods to get around sheet metal such as a
BO in Orchard dress or a tractor with a mounted corn picker.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com