[AT] Concrete slab- Subdivision Development

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Sat Nov 27 08:23:59 PST 2004

   With
> the massive development going on here now the possibility of this farm
> staying a farm beyond my lifetime
> becomes less and less each year. The city is now busy building a bypass
> road that will come within about
> 1,000 feet of our north west corner The school district recently bought a
> large field just up the road about a
> half mile for $39,000 an acre. Lets see, corn was about $1.60 this week.
> How does that stack up?   :-(    100
> acres times $40,000 an acre... yeah that is probably my sell-out price...
> It sure would buy a nice place with a
> big shop 20 miles further from Indy and a lot of old tractors... Trouble
> is I don't want to do it. Son Scott may be
> forced to some day though.
Farmer,
I am in the same predicament. Back in the late'60's I got out of the large
farming and ranching business after the typical family fued (much like the
Hatfield's) and bought this 57 acres that I'm on now and at that time it was
far from town. I'm now surrounded by housing developments, where the kids
have moved from town and think they have free run everywhere. My property is
between 2 paved county roads and I have the only crossroad connecting them
which is gated and locked. That doesn't keep them out, as the Sheriff left
yesterday with a bemused smile after I was reported carrying a shotgun in a
threatening manner at an a...hole that thought he had the right to travel on
my road...at least He gave up on me shooting magpies...
Undeveloped raw property here is going in the range of $43K an acre, maybe
I'll have to do the same.
Dave.