[AT] Concrete slab

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Fri Nov 26 18:51:50 PST 2004

My building experience is with homes, (maybe 100) so my pole barn was my
first.  I considered the options and decided to NOT use concrete.  I did use
a concrete cookie under each pole, well tamped by dropping the pole
repeatedly so there would be no settling.   I decided against concrete for
backfill because I felt the drainage through fine clean stone would be
better.  This was in 1990 and I haven't seen any evidence of any pole
moving.

By the way, I installed the pressure treated skirting and poured the floor
before erecting the building.  This offered several advantages.  Each of 4
slabs are 18' x 40' and a little over 4" thick and used 10 yards... just
what one truck could haul.  My son and I prepared each slab and poured and
finished it the same day.  It was an advantage to be able to get the truck
in the right position and to be able to finish each slab from all four
sides.  A nice slab in four days.  It made a good base for setting trusses,
etc.

To make it more tractor related the grading of the sub-strate was done very
accurately using the mid mount grader blade on a Cub.

George Willer