[AJD] Another Plea For Education

Terry L. Hrdlicka th01209 at alltel.net
Fri Nov 26 12:57:44 PST 2004

Cal,

One of the symptoms could be:

  "the tractor will run for about 30 minutes great, then it dies as if
it ran out of gas. I restart it and it restarts fine and runs for about
5 minutes then does the same thing.
If I let the tractor sit for about an hour, it will run for another 30
minutes before repeating the cycle above."

:)

A lot of the time, if there is a weird deviation from specs in the coil
resistance, it indicates a problem in the windings.  Sometimes after
running a while, the coil will warm up and the wires in the coil will
expand a little, and either open up or short out.  After things cool
down, the wires return to their normal position, at least for a while.
I've seen this kind of intermittent operation a few times on old cars in
the past.  We'd run it 'till it quit, cool the coil down with ice and
see if she'd start.  One of the "low tech" diagnostic tools from the
"good 'ol days."  Learnt' that one from dad :).

Terry