[Farmall] Auto Darkening Welding Helmets

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 10:42:01 PST 2004

I agree with Mark. I don't do much more than occasional wire welding and
maybe a rare stick job, so having the ability to vary the darkness is
essential. Before I got the HF auto darkening solar powered helmet, my
welding was terrible. Now, with the new helmet, it is just mediocre. :-)

The only thing I noticed was that when I have it set on the lightest
setting for wire welding, if I am outdoors in bright sunlight and face
towards the sun, it goes dark before I strike the arc. So I have to work
with my back to the sun. No big deal. As others have said, I don't know
how I ever managed before I had it (badly). As far as the timing, all of
the auto darkening helmets have a certified speed listed somewhere in
the specifications.

Mike

Mark wrote:
> I have a solar powered auto dark and I wouldn't have anything else. The
> auto dark feature, if you've never used it, makes welding much easier -
> and more comfortable than ever before. The battery powered units have a
> bad habit of flickering dark and light when the battery gets low - just
> not worth it. You'll of course want to make sure the shading can be
> adjusted to or is set at the correct level for the type of work you do
> (and your personal preference). My helmet adjusts from 6 to 14 and that
> makes it nice - I use it for plasma cutting, torch cutting as well as
> welding since I can adjust it lighter when needed. I'm not sure but I'm
> guessing the cheper units might have a slower reaction time as well. I
> believe my helmet changes in 1/25000th of a second. If it's a slow
> change or reaction, that can mean flashes to your eyes and fatigue over
> time.
>
> Just some thoughts and input.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <RogerKIWI at aol.com>

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)