[AJD] Jd 70 update

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Nov 24 12:14:06 PST 2004

Roberts Carburetor Repair has a very good reputation. I have had one really
sick duplex carburetor done there. I have met Robert Beaver a few times and
have visited their facility in Spencer, IA twice. They have a complete
running two cylinder test engine in the shop on which they test all
carburetors, with adapters, for verification of acceptable operation and
adjustment. Unfortunately, with their good reputation they have a large
backlog and the wait time can be quite long.

They sell video tapes on how to do all the work yourself and have good
quality parts for sale too. The single barrel DLTX JD carburetors are simple
enough that most home mechanics can do any cleaning and fixing required
unless something like the stem is broken off. All the passages can be gotten
to with appropriate sized drills and the removal of the brass plugs.

The Duplex carburetors require a procedure to remove wedged-in steel balls
to get to all the passages and that removal procedure was more than I was
willing to take on. That is why I sent that carburetor to them. I have taken
care of several single barrel carburetors using their recommended procedures
and using some of their tools.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door