[AT] Battery Life?

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Nov 21 06:24:13 PST 2004

	Rob, this is a question that has plagued me for years. It seems
to me that life of batteries is related to the tractor the battery is in.

	I have a JD 2010 crawler that I bought in March 1995 and it still
has the same two 12 volt batteries in it and both are still good. My JD
40-S has had the same battery in it for at least that long. I've never
disconnected a cable on either tractor no matter how long it sits. Some
of my other tractors seem to eat a battery a year and if I want to save a
battery, I have to disconnect cables.

	I think it has to do with battery drain when sitting. Any time one
of my 6 volt batteries goes completly dead, I end up buying a new one as
I cannot get the dead battery anywhere near back to full charge.

	What I do is disconnect one of the battery cables on most of my
Allis Chalmers tractors when I put them away for a long period of time and
that seems to work best for me. If I take a battery out of anything, I
always give it a full charge on the bench before putting it away for any
length of time. I don't think it is any better storing batteries inside
for the winter than it is leaving them outside in the tractors if the
batteries are charged up and in most cases have a cable disconnected.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson