[AT] More trailer questions..

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Nov 19 20:31:02 PST 2004

At 11/19/04 9:54:00 PM, you wrote:
>That's why I don't like bearing buddies or similar products on my trailer
>with brakes.  I have them on my motorcycle trailer.
>A big trailer with full sized tires doesn't really need any extra grease on
>the bearings.  You don't have bearing buddies on your pickup front hubs do
>you?
>Just pack the bearings correctly.  Too much grease can cause overheating and
>bearing failure.
>
>Jim

	There are some newer trailer axles for greasable hubs that are drilled from inside of the bearing area to
a few inches inboard of the brakes near the spring perch that will shunt any excess grease out on the ground
instead of allowing it to build pressure. Keeps it from pushing past the seals into the brakes or popping the
dust cap off.
	I have an old self unloading wagon that had well sealed regreasable bearings on the unloader drag
that were equipped with fittings that had a slot up the fitting threads that allowed any excess grease out
through that slot as soon as the bearing filled. That wagon is 50 years old and the bearings are still good.
Must have worked...   :-)
	Farmall had the same concept on the distributor shaft bearings. A fitting was mounted in the side
facing you and there was a simple hole 180 degrees around on the back where any excess pushes out.

"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net