[AT] Tractor wiring

Howard R. Weeks weeksh at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 18 17:02:31 PST 2004

More on the same subject -
It takes twice as much current to do a given
job at 6 volts as it does at 12 volts.  For example: 12 volts x 12 amps =
144 watts.
144 watts / 6 volts = 24 amps.  If you had .1 ohm of resistance in the
12 volt cable, then .1 ohm x 12 amps = 1.2 volts dropped across that loss.
So that leaves you with 10.8 at the load.  The same loss at 6 volts would be
.1 ohm x 24 = 2.4 volts loss. That leaves only 3.6 volts at the load.  That
little bit
of resistance that is hardly noticable at 12 volts would keep a 6 volt
system from working.
To keep this resistance to a minimum, use bigger wire and really keep the
connections
clean and tight.

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA