[AT] tri-axle trailer question

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 19:06:52 PST 2004

--- CBear81438 at aol.com wrote:

> A note on Pintle Hitches.  Most are rated for 5000
> lbs tongue  weight.  I
> just bought 2 about a month ago that are rated 20K
> with a 5K  tongue weight and
> they are not that heavy.  A lot of weight on 4 ea
> 1/2  inch bolts...

Note to self: use only grade 8 hardware.

> I thought it was a uniform law that required you to
> have a
> CDL if you  went over 27000 lbs.........  That is
> what the DOT requirement
> is....

Cecil, simplified, CDL is for 26,001# and over EXCEPT
if you are driving your own personal (non farm or
business) truck carrying you own personal possessions.
 IE: use of your personal toy to take your personal
toys to the toy show only requires an operators
license, just like a motorhome.  ANYthing else
requires proper CDL licensing!  This from the federal
regulations and a certain Michigan State Police Motor
Carrier Division Officer known very well to me (my
son).

=====
Dave Myers
Paw Paw, Michigan

Being crazy just helps me keep my sanity!