[AT] The value of tractor manuals

Kyle Sands willys_46 at mail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:29:32 PST 2004

This is a no-brainer; obviously a good repair manual and parts manual is invaluable to anyone working on an old tractor.  Mine came in handy for the first time this past weekend when my troubles continued with my Minnie-Mo RTU.  I got the ignition problem cured thanks to you guys on ATIS - I merely needed to clean the points.  But it still wouldn't run very strongly.  If I advanced the throttle too quickly, the engine would load up and it sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders.  It lacked power, and when trying to drive up a hill it would stall out even in first gear.  Adjusting the needles on the carb proved fruitless as well.  I could literally unscrew the load jet all the way and pull it out of the carb body while the tractor was running and it wouldn't make any difference.  And the low speed jet was so sensitive that any more than 1/4 turn open would stall the motor, and completely closed would do that same.  As a last resort, I figured I had to have a dirty carb.  So I took it apart...but it was spotless.  There was no sign of dirty fuel or anything.  The carb is a Marvel-Schebler that has a removable venturi.  It was then that I referenced my parts manual to see how that venturi was supposed to be positioned in there.  And wouldn't you know it, but I had put the venturi in upside down when I had first cleaned it earlier this summer!  Well, I wasn't exactly sure this would solve my problem, but when I reinstalled the carb and started the tractor, it made all the difference in the world!  Now she's back to running like I remember earlier this year.  My service manual wouldn't have helped in this instance, but that parts manual was just the ticket.  It just paid for itself in this one instance!

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm