[AJD] 39 Styled "B" in a Box

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Nov 17 11:57:41 PST 2004

Eric:

As a fellow owner of a 1940 JD B I can empathize with what you are going
through.  I assume this is a hand start 1939 B as opposed to a slant dash B.
As far as tin goes, I suspect with a little leg work you could find a used
hood that isn't all rusted out. Now for the block and head, I suspect they
could be found used too except any used block you find might need to be
bored anyway, so the lowest cost approach might be boring and sleaving your
existing block. I think I might have an extra head around here, casting
number B1306R but I haven't looked at it for a long time. I suspect it will
need to be totally reworked which may be no better than what you have.

One thing you might do is check Valu-Bilt in the Des Moines, IA area and see
what they may have available. At least they might be able to give you some
price references for what you are getting into. They have a rebuilt head w/o
valves (B1306R) for $267.79. They have a re-bored block with aluminum
pistons for $411.99. I suspect you could just get a block from them if you
wanted to try to save your current pistons.

For all you know they might have a used hood for sale.

www.valu-bilt.com

As far as the tag goes, you might try putting a piece of thin paper over it
and then using a #2 pencil and rubbing the lead over the paper and over the
serial number. Sometimes that will bring out the numbers on the paper.
Another way might be to use some kind of HD liquid cleaner on it to see if
that might clear it up. The third choice will be to remove the tag off of
the block and take it to a jeweler or someone similar to see if they can
help retrieve the number.

If it is a 1939 model the range of serial numbers will be from 60000 to
80999.

Have fun.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290