[Farmall] F-20 tires

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 05:47:50 PST 2004

I've never seen 40" or 42" on an F-20.  I do believe
that 40" was the standard size on F-12 and F-14.  36"
is common on F-20s because it took that size to clear
the brake housings allowing you th move the wheels
inward.  I'm pretty sure that the factory rubber size
was 36"  I've also seen a lot of 24" and 28" cutoffs.
The 24" size is probably good on an F-20 because their
overal height would be pretty close to the original
40" steel.  I have 36" w tall tires on my F-20 and
fond the tall tire to be a bit of a disadvantage when
I want to pull something.  This tractor goes as fast
in 1st gear as others go in 2nd.  Sometimes we see
some odd sizes.  I really think that a major factor in
deciding what size to use was what they had on hand or
easily available.  Many modifications are done in a
way that seems strange to someone years later.  The
answer to "why did they do it like that?" is likely
"beacuse that's what they had" when they needed to
"fix" something.  Look around you own place and you
will see a few examples.

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN