[AT] Homemade trailers

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Mon Nov 15 17:16:06 PST 2004

Dave,
All of this is pretty much moot if you can't register your trailer in your
home state. The first thing I would do is check with the appropriate
state agency and get copies of the regulations regarding trailers in
Ohio.

Steel is really pricey right now. You may want to wait and see what it
will cost you in 6 months. Probably quite a bit less.

Most of those $800-900 trailers are light duty and wouldn't be suitable
for anything much bigger than your former A-C B. Check with several
trailer places to see what is included. I believe all new trailers must
use new wheels and tires per federal regs. No more used tires/wheels.

When I bought my trailer, I asked a lot of these same questions and
ended up with an 18' tandem axle "utility" trailer with decking, hubs
that matched my truck's bolt pattern so I could use the truck spare on
the trailer (had to do that several times), stake pockets for tie down points,
a "foldback" tongue, standard fenders and brakes on one axle (I believe
that the regs have since changed and brakes are required on every axle now).
It came painted to match my truck right down to the pinstriping color.
I paid $1,100 plus the brake controller.

If you talk to the dealers and find one that builds his own trailers as
mine did, they can be very helpful with insights that will get you the
trailer you need that will do what you intend to do with it.

Hope this helps,
Phil