[AT] (D Case stuck) Another possibility

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Nov 12 12:37:32 PST 2004

         Son Scott bought a VW beetle a few years ago from one of Diana's
brothers. Her brother had driven it one day and drove in the drive and shut
it off. When he got in it the next day it was stuck tight, didn't shake at
all. He parked it and made plans to get another engine for it but never got
it done. I'm not sure why so many guys want to replace engines before
finding out what is wrong with the one they have... Anyway after it sat
several years Scott bought it and we hauled it home. We pushed it in the
shop and pulled the head. I don't recall if it was on the first head or the
second we found the problem. A large hunk of carbon that had gotten mashed
down "almost" enough to let the engine turn on over but not quite. It was
locked tight and would not move either way. Apparently it was putting
enough of a bind on the cylinder (the hunk was at the extreme edge of the
piston) and maybe a lot of pressure on the rod and mains to lock the
engine. The piston itself was really trying hard to cock sidewise in the
cylinder. We cleaned the carbon all out of the combustion  chambers, put
the heads back on with new gaskets and closed everything up. It started and
ran like a dream... The BIL about $#!t when he found out that was all it
was. He took a real beating $$$ on that car but learned a good lesson.

"farmer"

I am the list owner of the following public email lists:
Allis_Chalmers
Budget_muzzleloading
Cheap-Shelters
Cheapcomputer
Cheapcritters
CheapPower
FrugalFunWoodworking
FrugalRuralLiving
NoNonsenseHorse
Smallfarmshop
truck-blab

Some are pretty quiet, some are very busy. Member counts range from 32 to 570.
All are on Yahoo Groups and can be found with a search at: