[AT] Arc Welding ?

Chuck Saunders csaunders at bluevalleyk12.org
Thu Nov 11 06:16:22 PST 2004

I too had heard this and thought this was a good time to go looking.  I
found the item below @
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/welding/ppe.html

Most everything I found says just another myth. I would suppose that the
myth gathered it's credability from the contacts (especially the hard
contacts) ability to trap dirt and grit and prevent the natural flushing
of the eyelid.  Add in the unknown new "Soft" contacts and you have the
materials to make a good scare story.
Ta Da! Urban Legend

And you were dieing to know what I thought weren't you,
Chuck Saunders

Can you wear contact lenses when welding?

As stated in the OSH Answers document Contact Lenses at Work
<http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/contact_len.html>, dust
particles or chemicals that can irritate the eyes may be present in many
welding areas. Wearing contact lenses may not be advisable in such
workplaces.

Reports of contact lenses being "welded" to the cornea (or lens of the
eye) as a result of exposure to an arc flash have been proven to be
incorrect. It is impossible for contact lenses to become "welded" to the
cornea.

All workers in proximity to welding procedures must wear appropriate eye
protection whether they are using contact lenses or not.

Note that in Canada, Prince Edward Island's Occupational Health and
Safety Act Regulations (E.C. 180/87) Section 45.11 specifically bans
wearing contact lenses while welding.