[AT] Antique Tractor Gas Tank sealer - Thanks

Louis Spiegelberg louis at kellnet.com
Wed Nov 10 12:42:42 PST 2004

Be careful with what you use.  I have a customer that had a tank cleaned up
and sealed, before he brought it to me. It was for his 1927 John Deere D. I
don't know what brand of sealer was used, but it caused problems.  When it
left my shop it ran like a top.  It would start by the second pull on the
flywheel.  He had it home for less than a month, and he called me all upset
that his tractor won't start.  I had to travel 250 miles to figure out what
was going on.  I notice with the petcock open, it wasn't spraying fuel out
like it should have.  I took off the fuel line, it was plugged with the
liner.  It was dissolving in the gas and plugging in the fuel line.  Once I
blew out the fuel line and cleaned out the carb, the tractor started right
up.

I take all of my tanks to a local radiator shop.  They do a good job
cleaning out the inside of the tank.  They pressure test the tank and repair
any leaks.  Then they seal the tank.  This runs any where from $60 to $100,
depending repairs that are needed.

I have made this a general practice.  All of these old tanks have rust in
them.  A sediment bowl full of rust is not impressive on a restored tractor.
It saves me a lot of headaches with the customers.

Lou