[AJD] Antique Tractor Gas Tank sealer

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Nov 9 19:21:04 PST 2004

Dean,
 Pick up a gallon of Lacquer thinner (cheaper the better) and some
muratic acid and a couple cans of gas line antifreeze
 (alcohol), then go to a small airport or aircraft repair place.While
there pick up a gallon of "sloshable fuel tank sealer"
it is usually in a 55 gallon drum and a gallon will do a LOT of tanks.
It's not real cheap but it works good and it lasts a long time in the
bottle (unlike some other sealers that have a short shelf life)
Go home and block off all the openings in the tank except one large one,
then take the tank outside. Pour in a half gallon of thinner
and rock the tank around good to clean out the oil, varnish and other
crud. Dump the thinner back out. Mix up the acid so it is
about twice the strength you would normally use. Then pour that in the
tank and slosh it around real good. This will etch the
steel some and provide some tooth for the sealer to grab on. Pour the
acid out and dump in some water and slosh it around
to remove the remainder of the acid. You could mix some baking soda in
the water to help neutralize the acid faster.
Then put the alcohol in and slosh it around (this removes any water left
in the tank), pour out the remainder. Let the tank air dry a couple
minutes (not real long since it will start to rust almost immediately)
Nor pour in some sealer and slosh it around real good. Pour out any
excess. Now for the important step. REMOVE all the plugs and covers
BEFORE that sealer starts to harden. Let the tank set
about 24 hours and then your ready to go.

Steve Williams