[AT] Antique Tractor Gas Tank sealer

Michael P. Maynard mmaynard at rochester.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 17:36:56 PST 2004

www.por15.com  or www.eastwood.com

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Dean VP
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 4:23 PM
To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com; AT JD
Subject: [AT] Antique Tractor Gas Tank sealer

I have soldered up the holes in my 1953 JD 60 gas tank (20 Gallon) but to
make sure I have truly fixed it all. I would like to put a sealer inside.
The tank actually looks pretty good inside as the rust out occurred from the
outside in. But before I put a sealer inside I need to prepare the inside
surface. At least get rid of the oily film and gas residue.

I've talked to a few motorcycle shops that sell the "Kreme" product but it
comes in packages for two gallon applications and to do a 20 gallon tank is
prohibitively expensive.

I've also contacted a classic auto restoration repair and parts dealer who
sells a product for sealing a 25 gallon tank for $20 a quart or a complete
etching and sealing kit for $49.95.

In the conversation with this supplier he also suggested that I could get
the tank boiled out at a radiator shop. I contacted a radiator shop and
their minimum for a gas tank was $130.00. "WOW"

What suggestions might any of you have who have been down this road?

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com