[AT] Tractor lighting puzzler

Doug Tallman dtallman at accnorwalk.com
Sun Nov 7 22:55:37 PST 2004

At 05:57 PM 11/7/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Trying to understand Doug.  Would that explain why both poorly grounded
>lights with separate circuits from the switch turned on dim when only one
>circuit was switched on at the switch??   IE:  One light working OK (as
>switched) on the good fender but both lights dim at the same time on the
>bad fender.    John

It would be easier if I could draw a picture on this email. The rt and left
lights from each fender are most likely bussed together at the switch for
high and low beam. The switch is only controlling the positive side. Let's
say the electrons left the switch on the low beam post feeding 2 wires. The
electrons going to the good fender went through the bulb and easily found
their way back to the battery through the good ground. The light lights
bright. The electrons going to the bad fender got through the bulb and
didn't have an easy path back to the battery so they had to find another
route. They found their way through the grd of the high beam and went out
through the positive side back through the high side buss at the switch and
out to the good fender where it went through high beam lamp filament to
ground and back to the battery. If you had looked close the off filament on
the good side was probably glowing too. The lights were dim because the
voltage was feeding 3 lamps instead of 1. In the simple series circuit like
this the amount of current available to each bulb would have been equal so
they werre operating on 1/3 capacity. Clear as mud????

           Doug Tallman
           dtallman at accnorwalk.com
           VGTCOA Ohio Regional Director
               Greenwich, OH USA