[AT] crops

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 6 21:58:21 PST 2004

Hi Gene
Yes, I hear the south is having its problems with harvest too. On another
forum I frequent  there is lots of talk of buying track attachments and "mud
hogs" to put on the combines to get through the mud in the corn fields.
Nothing like that up here this year, just a very late maturing crop that got
caught by an early frost so some of it is still out in the field and hardly
worth harvesting. Peas and very early canola were about the only crops that
survived well.
You ask about the linola straw, it is used as fuel to heat a green house. My
brother and SIL have built a bale burning stove that holds 3 of the small
square bales. Clean (no wild oats) linola straw seems to burn the best with
the least residue and they have been able to heat the building through a
Saskatchewan winter which says something for the heat value I think.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/