[AT] crops

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 6 11:50:40 PST 2004

Larry, there is no connection between rapeseed (canola as it is called now)
and linola. The names sound similar and that fools a lot of people, even
around here. But they are two entirely different plants. Those fields you
saw in France and Germany were likely bright yellow.
My linola (and flax) fields will be blue as the sky when the crop is
blooming in July and August.
The straw from rapeseed (canola) shatters into nothing after going through
the combine. Flax and linola are quite the opposite. The straw is as tough
as wire and either has to be baled and removed from the field or burned
before we can seed another crop. Its a lot of work but when the price is
good, its worth it. A while back I was hearing prices over $10 a bushel for
good flax. Somewhat more profitable than the 75 cent a bushel frozen wheat
most of us harvested this season.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/