[AT] Semi OT plowing

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Nov 6 07:08:48 PST 2004

Well, I don't know, Cecil, I always liked the way the Allis-G plowed.
Of course, all my experience with it was in the Fort Wayne area -- The
Summit City -- so named because the region is on top of a sand esker
left by the Ice Cap that forms the intersection of the Mississippi and
St. Lawrence watersheds.  Soil ranges from sandy loam to wetland muck,
and rocks of any size are few and far between.  We didn't have a front
weight for the tractor.  I don't believe I ever saw one until I saw one
that Herb has on one of his G's.  When I was plowing, it was common for
one of the front wheels to lift off the ground when I was running in
soil that was too wet.  That effectively made for a shallower furrow,
and because of how the plow was mounted on the front axle, the plow
would change depth automatically to run at the maximum depth that the
engine could move it.  I liked that plow.

Larry