[AT] OT: Firey End to My Car

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 2 18:52:05 PST 2004

Its a lucky thing that the car was not parked in a garage or it would have
been an even bigger loss.
That happened last winter in this area. Fire department was able to get
there in time to save most of the garage but the car was a total write off.
One of the more common causes here of vehicle fires are block heater cords
that become frayed and worn over the years and eventually short out.
Sometimes they just burn the cord off and stop. Other times it just spreads
and takes the whole vehicle.
This can happen to tractors too. I don't like to leave the big 1500 watt
heaters plugged in for too many hours as they seem to get pretty hot. The
small 800 watt heaters can be left plugged in for days on end with no
worries.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/