[AT] OT: Firey End to My Car

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Tue Nov 2 16:04:53 PST 2004

Woah! Sorry about your VW, Dudley! That must've been a shocker!
Allen, you were truly lucky.
I had a similar experience years ago. I had just bought the first surge
protector for my new 286/12 PC.
Came home from work and smelled electronics burning. Went into the room
where the computer was
set up just in time to see sparks and flames shoot out of one of the
sockets on the surge protector.
Yanked the plug out of the wall and went to clean out my shorts! Took the
thing back and it was
replaced free, but I never trusted that replacement, even though it never
gave any problem. Nothing was
harmed other than some soot smudges on a plug. The thing was just
defective. Guess it just wasn't
time for my house to burn down.

Phil