[AT] A part for my JD 2010

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Tue Nov 2 04:57:07 PST 2004

Most of the major dealers have the network to check inventories at the other
dealerships.  I know this was available at Cat and IH over 30 years ago.  At
that time Caterpillar dealer net cost was 75% of list price, and list price
was consistently adhered to nationwide. (There were very few exceptions for
national accounts or parts contracts with exclusive major firms)  When the
desired part was not available from the factory or a distribution depot, for
dealer A to order a part from dealer B, dealer B would automatically add 15%
to the Dealer Net and ship the part to dealer A.

The customer gets taken care of, old inventory gets taken off the shelf, but
depending on the price of the item, Dealer A would seldom realize much
profit and often lost money or broke even.  Customer goodwill was their
primary goal.  In Cecil's example, JD dealer A, when considering the costs
of handling the transaction, was way ahead in passing along the information
and letting Cecil take care of the transaction personally with JD dealer B.
Dealer A scores points, Dealer B unloads some old inventory, and unless
there is a minimum invoice dollar amount required, Cecil gets his problem
solved cheaply.  It is simply good business practice.(But watch out for
those minimum purchase requirements!!)

John Parks
Boise, ID