[AT] 630 serial number

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue May 4 11:01:24 PDT 2004

Walt:

Because you are using data that is not appropriate and probably not well
researched. If you want real and accurate serial number data one has to
refer to someone who has been into JD archives and actually researched the
records. YTMag data would be the last data I would trust to be accurate.
Many of the serial number lists on the Web and for that matter some of those
published are copies of others work w/o ever verifying that they agree with
the actual JD production records.  Secondly there are those who list the
tractor year relative to what year it what built not what model year tractor
it is. For example JD built 1960 model year tractors in 1959. They are not
1959 model tractors. Just like the car manufacturers do.

Secondly I was only quoting only first and last serial numbers of 630 Row
Crop LP tractors which was a very small portion of the total 630 production.
Actually the model year serial number breakdowns of all 630's are as
follows:

1959 6300000-6312040
1960 6312041-6318206

There were 18,057 630's made of all types not counting Mexican production
but only 1249 LP's Row Crops 1959 models and only 623 Row crops made as 1960
model. Ricky has a one of 623 Row Crop LP 630's made as a 1960 model year
630.

All versions of the 630 used the same serial number system so sequential
serial numbers may be of any type. That is why it takes someone to research
the production registry to find out which serial number attached to which
type tractor.

I'm getting my data from J.R. Hobbs book "The John Deere" 30 Series, Second
Edition" published by Green Magazine. JR does his homework at JD Archives
and is usually quite accurate. Quite a bit better and more accurate than any
other JD antique tractor author.

Two Cylinder Magazine has published the JD 30 Series Production Register,
which I have a copy of, so any 30 series serial number can be looked up for
it's pertinent data. That is where John Grant got his data on Rick's
particular serial number.

There is no such thing as a 1958 model year 630. There was only 1958 model
year JD 620's of which I own one. Not a 630.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

A failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not
strong enough.--John Christian Bovee

www.deerelegacy.com