[AT] Real nice 40 (drill fill plumbing)

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun May 30 22:42:02 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com]On Behalf Of Ralph Goff
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 9:36 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] Real nice 40 (drill fill plumbing)

Dudley, thats easy, since I happen to have that very feature on my IH
Loadstar. Up here in grain growing country when farmers got tired of filling
their seed drills (diskers too) with a 5 gallon pail somebody got inventive
and found a way to at least take some of the manual labour out of the job.
The first drill fills were electric powered, usually off the truck or
tractor battery. Little 4 inch augers and you needed a good charging system
to keep the battery up for this job.
Later on when most trucks began to have hydraulic hoists it was not long
before somebody decided to power that drill fill with a hydraulic motor
powered by the truck's hydraulic system. Or in my case, before I had a truck
I used long hyd hoses running back from the tractor to the drill fill on the
grain wagon.
To make this system work on a truck with a single hydraulic valve it
required a bit of "plumbing". Basically a splitter valve was installed in
the main pressure line giving you the option of diverting the flow from the
truck hoist to the drill fill motor. I did this on my Loadstar back in 89
and it worked great. The system is still intact and usuable but no longer
required since I bought an air seeder last spring. It has it's own built in
hydraulic powered drill fill right on the air tank.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/