[AT] OT garden rototiller

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun May 30 15:18:18 PDT 2004

	The Italian rototiller has a higher tine speed than the
Troybilts and pulverizes the soil better. Some like the higher tine
speed and some like the speed of the Troybilts.

	As to size for weeding, I find the heavy 8 hp tiller to be
a lot more work to weed with than the smaller 4 and 5 hp tillers. To
each his own but saving work is not a bad idea. I keep my heavy tiller
for spring work and preparation and use the smaller tillers for weeding.
The small tiller has two forward speeds and the faster speed is just
about right for my garden. Remember that you don't have to till any
deeper than an inch for weeding. All you need to do is cut the weeds
off or pull them out.

	Like Ralph Goff, I space the rows in my garden wider than
some do so I have room for the tiller. I have also experimented with
wide row planting (12" to 15" wide) in rows spaced 48" apart. This
seems to work very well for onions, radishes, beets and things like
that. This year I spaced three rows of onions and garlic 6" apart
and like that too. Looks better than ever.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson