[AT] O.T. - sandy Ford electronic control unit.

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat May 29 04:21:17 PDT 2004

	I was under the hood of my 83 F-150 this week and noticed a
small patch of sand on the wheel well. It didn't look like
any local sand, more of an orange color, so I kept looking.
Seems it was leaking from the electronic ignition control
unit. I pulled the unit and the epoxy seal across the bottom
was pulling away from the aluminum housing and leaking sand.
Assuming that leaking sand must be at least a first cousin
to leaking smoke I replaced the unit. It made no difference
in the way it ran but I figured that I might have saved
myself a break down on the road somewhere. I assume the sand
serves some vital purpose in there. I should open the old
one up and look at the insides, I've never looked in one
before. I probably won't understand what I see but much like
a small boy watching a stripper I'll still look. :-)
	The first vehicle I ever owned that had come out with one
of those was an older Ford F-150 that the PO had converted
back to a conventional ignition. He had done the job
properly and it all worked well. Seems that right after the
warranty ran out it had gone through 3 of them in a row and
back in those days they were still $600 each out of his
pocket. The new one I just put on this truck was less than $13.
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net