[AT] Allis Chalmers WD or WD45?

Gilbert Schwartz gschwartz1 at mchsi.com
Mon May 24 14:09:00 PDT 2004

Jim; Sorry I'm late in getting back to you on this but I'll still try to
help you out. (been down in the Carribean doing a boat ride).
 First, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what that decal says, (unless
you know for certain that it's original)  and then I'd want to check. That
tractor is something over 50 years old and a LOT of things can  change in
that amount of  time.
The tractor serial is STAMPED onto a boss on the left rear axle housing and
is sometimes hard to read due to rust and/or multiple coats of paint. When
you stand behind the tractor, facing the tractor, that boss is located just
above the tractors left pillow block which attaches the lift arm shaft to
the housing. (When you try to get onto the tractor seat, put your right foot
on the drawbar, step onto the step plate with your left foot, the boss will
be a few inches above your left toe. The number will begin with WD and then
have several digits. With this number we can get year of build, etc.
Some of the later machines had the engine number stamped onto a boss on the
left side of the block to the rear of  the carb.
If your machine has a curved shifter, it's either a late model WD OR a
WD-45. If the engine has a large metal plate covering and bolted to the
right side of the block, the block is a WD block. 45's didn't have this
plate.
There are other subtle differences but I won't go into them here/now. Get
that serial and we can go into it deeper.
Remember, it's an old machine and could have several parts replaced with
parts from other machines.
Happy to help, just holler,
Gil