[AT] Three point hitches and Dean's commentary

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat May 22 09:35:59 PDT 2004

Dean VP wrote:

> George:
>
> I just knew I was going to step on some toes, especially yours. Oh, well at
> least we got to hear from you again and that is good!  :-) I have been
> trying to skip a few meals of potatoes and gravy this spring to reduce the
> traction but still am pushing the 260 lb line. I would think that adding 260
> lbs plus would help out a Cub tremendously. :-) And the CUB had the two rear
> wheel weights installed too. Dang things are just the wrong color!  :-) I
> must have been sitting on the grill. Never could understand a tractor where
> the seat is offset!  :-) At least the grill is on the centerline of the
> tractor.
>
> Ok, I haven't completely lost it relative to the Ford Jack arrangement. So
> one lifts up on the three point which in turn lifts the tractor. Vely
> intelesting! Not sure I have seen a real one of these jacks other than
> pictures. But they are the wrong color too!  :-)
>
> My neighbor was over here with his Ford 8N helping me collect rocks on part
> of my pasture a few years ago. Part of my pasture has a pretty good grade. I
> had to pull him up the slope since the 8N was so light in the rear he
> couldn't get up the slope. What is it about these red and grey tractors that
> make them so light in the rear? And at the time he had had his fair share of
> potatoes and gravy too! Must be they just don't have enough power to apply
> to the rear wheels if they were weighted properly! God intended that farm
> tractors have at least 70% of the weight on the rear wheels so they could do
> something useful. At least drag a chain for show, at the minimum. :-)
>

> Dean A. Van Peursem
> Snohomish, WA 98290

	And I once borrowed a Deere B and a 6' disk to do a garden
and didn't think the silly thing would ever get the job
done...   :-)   a good 8N Ford would have disked rings
around it... Maybe you have just never been around a good
one.   :-)   That B Deere sure wasn't a good one. Not sure
what its problem was but I would sure hate to judge all
Deeres by that one. One of the best small plowing tractors I
ever used was a TO-20 Ferguson with an TO-30 overbore kit in
it. Jumping up a size I was really fond of the IHC 300-U
with TA for plowing. It BTW did have optional down pressure
on the hydraulic Fast Hitch. My Farmall Super M has a Speeco
3 point and it has optional down pressure. Sadly the loader
on it does not.

	Bring that #$%& CUB to CUB FEST in 4 weeks and we'll give
it a good looking at and tell you what it needs to pull a
16' disk.   ;-)
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net