[AT] Three point hitches and Dean's commentary

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri May 21 12:21:09 PDT 2004

I saw Dean's exhaustive commentary on JD70's and his comments on three point hitches on them and read it with interest. I have a few additional thoughts. I have tractors (none John Deere - disclosure needed lol) with a variety of types of three point hitches and see one or two things related to them that might be useful. First, the load sensing feature in most modern three point hitches is really not needed for most activities I do. Also, it tends to be the first thing to fail in the system. So that feature may not have much value for you. Second, some add-on three point hitches and the old Oliver ones have the GIANT advantage of two way power. I cannot tell the list how many times I have either been thankful to have that on my Olivers or been unhappy to not have it on the other tractors. Power down is so helpful for post hole diggers, some kinds of ground working implements, scraper blades, cultivating sleds and other items. It is not available today from any OEM manufacturers that I know of.
    I don't know if the John Deere 801 hitch has power down, but if it does, it would add to the value to use I think. These are just my thoughts and I hope they are helpful to others.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California