[AT] OT - JD STX38 fuel problems

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri May 21 03:30:51 PDT 2004

Mike:

I don't have an STX-38 but do have three other JD Garden Tractors and the
one most similar to yours is a JD 130. Typically, on a GT like yours with a
peerless transaxle the drive belt from the engine to the transaxle is
tensioned by an idler pulley that is spring loaded. Depressing the clutch
releases this tension. I am assuming that when you go up hill and the
tractor stops, you mean the engine is running and the clutch is not
depressed and is trying to go up hill but won't. However, in my experience
if the belt is slipping that much it will tend to squeal and then start
overheating the drive pulley and eventually smoke will appear. Since you
didn't mention any of those symptoms, I'm a bit puzzled.

It is entirely possible that the belt has stretched or deteriorated such
that the spring loaded tension pulley is unable to tighten the belt enough
for a good grip. But I would have expected the other symptoms to occur as
well. You can check the belt tensioner by checking to see if it has any room
for additional travel when the belt is supposed to be tight. If it is at the
end of its possible travel the belt has stretched. Or is hanging up on
something.

According to the Parts Catalog I have for the STX38 on CD, the belt
tensioning spring and pulley should be quite obvious upon inspection.

I'm still very puzzled why the other symptoms didn't occur.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

What people can dream, people can do! George W. Bush

www.deerelegacy.com