[AT] OT - JD STX38 fuel problems

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu May 20 15:48:51 PDT 2004

That's a good question, Mike.  You probably can't tell by looking at
them.

This discussion reminds me of the research on filtration that was going
on at Oklahoma State around 35 years ago.  Ernie Fitch was the senior
faculty/researcher at the time, but I doubt that he's still around.
Ernie was doing lots of research in the late 60's on the effectiveness
of hydroclones as a substitute for more commonplace filtration
techniques.  At the time, they were using Mobil 5W as the vehicle for
the experiments.  After polluting it with some "standard" materials,
Ernie would run it through a hydroclone and end up with oil that was
cleaner than when it came from the factory.  They didn't have any use
for the oil after it had been used, so ended up throwing it away by the
barrelful.  It made pretty good hydraulic fluid.

Larry