OT: Re: [AT] Subscription

Bill Herrmann bherrmann at atis.net
Wed May 19 23:23:43 PDT 2004

At 06:20 PM 5/19/2004 -0400, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:
>Another way to unsub is to put the list on your mail rejection list and when
>they get it back they will automatically unsub you.

As a mail list owner...
PLEASE save that for a last resort. I don't know how many times I've cursed
AOL users that do that rather than simply signing off. (and the sign off
procedure is actually simpler than the procedure to get on the list)
AOL's mail server does not send the right responses and on many lists there
ain't no automatic about it. I have to manually take care of them. On the
list I run doing that is a one way door. If I have to manually remove you
due to that I also take the time to block your address permanently.

Note: I did say last resort above. I've occasionally seen the situation
Walt is mentioning where in spite of following the appropriate directions
the list software just wouldn't let go. In that case it is appropriate, but
not as a first attempt.

1. Attempt to follow the instructions given in the message you got when you
signed up. (You did save it right?)
2. Look for and attempt to follow the instructions on any web page
associated with said list.
3. Attempt to contact a list owner or server manager for help. Remember
that most are running lists on a volunteer basis. Give 'em at least a day
to respond and more if it's on a weekend or holiday.
4. After exhausting all other possibilities - consider using the mail
rejection list

Bill
'49 Farmall Cub