[AT] OT cutting more grass

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 16:00:40 PDT 2004

John,

I thought of your approach for a while, but never attempted it.  There would
be a lot of problems to overcome.  If you built a frame to suspend the small
decks out wider than your belly deck, you would probably want them suspended
on chain, so each deck could float to follow the terrain of the lawn.  Now
it seems some castor type wheels will be required on each deck to allow
turning.
This brings up the question of will the space stay the same on the turns so
you won't have skips between the outboard decks, etc. etc. etc.  The more
one thinks on it, the more situations must be overcome.  Think about oil
change day. Lets see here.  Guess I have to drain and refill five units.
Number three tends to use a little oil, so i will put 20w-40 weight in that
one, because it may hold in a little better, and so on.  Now we roll up to
blade sharpening week.  Boy, I hate that job. Let me see,  I have seven here
total.  Two ends on each.  Fourteen cutting edges.                  ....
.........Get the point?

There are a ton of lawn contractors here in our area.  Most of them use the
front mount zero turns.  If new ones are too much for the budget, perhaps
you could land a good used 72" cut that is affordable.  Just be careful it
wasn't killed be a mowing contractor.  If you have a lot of things to mow
around, they are the greatest.  Most will work at up to 10 to 15 MPH if your
turf is smooth enough (not many are).  I can mow mine with a 60 inch in
slightly less time  than two of us did with a 16 HP. John Deere, and an 18HP
Ariens both with 48" decks.

Just my 2.5 cents worth

Charlie V.