[AT] OT - JD STX38 fuel problems

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Tue May 18 06:33:40 PDT 2004

Mike S Meulenberg wrote:

>Hi All,
>I recently bought a little JD STX38 to cut my lawn. I have a problem with
>it running out of fuel in the fuel line even though the tank is full. I
>replaced the fuel filter after I bought the tractor, and after that it
>would run out of fuel after 5-10 minutes of mowing. I thought I solved
>the problem by filling the filter with fuel, thinking it was like a vapor
>lock. I mowed a couple times after that with no trouble. Now tonight the
>problem reared it's head again. The filter is dry as can be, and the gas
>only dribbles into the filter. Any thoughts as to what might be going on
>would be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Mike

Mike, I had that happen with my JD 285 mower.  Traced the fuel line,
found a spider had gotten mixed up and was clogging the line just after
it left the tank.  Fished out the body, no trouble since.  (Reported the
body to CSI Miami, but they weren't interested in sending the blonde
investigator out---darn...)