[AT] John Deere 110 help

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Fri May 14 10:46:37 PDT 2004

  From: Jerry Rhodes<mailto:jlrhod at paulding-net.com>

  Bruce, my JD 110 has a 10 hp Kohler, that is standard for the 110
  Jerry NW Ohio

  Jerry
  The 110 went through several evolutions with engines.  My 1963 round fender model has a Kohler KB8 which is a 7 hp.  I got it from the original owner and had to overhaul it after it dropped the rod.

  I guess since many of the list members that make Portland already know this story, I will confess again.  We bored it out, turned the crank and got it all back together.  My son was helping and he thought I torqued the flywheel on and I suppose I thought he had.  It cranked up on the second turnover of the starter and ran for 2-3 minutes and the flywheel just came apart at the hub.  My small engine parts supplier said that there were no new flywheels available, so I looked for two years for a used one or a parts engine.  I had spent many hours at Portland and other swap meets and boneyards searching for a flywheel.   We added onto a steel building for a small engine shop and I asked him about a used flywheel and he said he had bought a new one from Kohler less than a month previously.  I had one in in 3 days and the 110 runs great not.  Still need to finish fiberglass repair to hood and paint and decal.

  Bear
  I will not admit what I paid for a new flywheel for this engine but it almost doubled my original investment in the 110.  One thing that I got with this little JD was an unused 9" moldboard.  I think it will look great with the deck off and that plow up on the mechanical lift.  Counting the flywheel, a rebuild on this little engine cost about the same as a small block Chevy.