[AT] JD 730D Live PTO clutch oil

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Thu May 6 10:29:28 PDT 2004

Dean,
	The Walmart thing surprised me.  That's all.  It is probably the way to
go.  I try to stay as far as possible from Walmart.  I have bought some
cases of "brand name" oil for my automobiles at Sam's Club, so I guess I
don't stay very far away.  I buy my tractor oils in bulk.  Usually 30
gal drums nowadays.  Used to be in 55s.  Lately, my hydraulic oil
purchases have been 5 gals at a time.  2 X 2.5 gal jugs in one box.  I
currently am out and plan to get a 30 gal drum.  I use the local jobber.
  Need him to stay in business.  Discount stores can probably beat him
in prices on quarts, but there is a tremendous waste to using quarts,
unless you tip each one up in a container and allow it to drain for a
day or two.  Also, I hate those little 3 gallon cases that quarts come
in these days.  Okay if all you have is a little car and a lawn mower.
Yuppie stuff.  Just won't work for me.  I use near 200 gallons of oils a
year.  And I certainly would not pay a Ford dealership 89 bucks either.
  They would probably charge me more, as I am a Chevy operator.<g>  I
also used to be a petroleum jobber in a previous life, so I feel a
little loyalty to the guy that is inventorying supplies so I can go in
and get some 10wt. if I need it.  Now that I said that.....I'll have to
ask if he even has any.
	I would certainly stay with John Deere's recommendation on the PTO
clutch.  Either what the manual says, or the modern equivalent as per
John Deere.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA