[AT] OT: Acceleration defined

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed May 5 00:25:53 PDT 2004

Walt,

Your' post brings back memories - I know the sound and feeling you're
talking about as I experienced it several times in the mid 60's when I lived
just off the East edge of the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville,
Alabama where NASA had a test stand for the F1 engine.

For those with an interest in big engines the following, which I've
extracted from "old memory" - may be of interest -
The first stage engines on the Saturn V, which were designated F1, were
built by North American Aviation's Rocketdyne Division.  There were five of
these engines on the first stage of the rocket - one in the Center and four
equally spaced around the circumference.  The center engine was fixed while
the outer four would gimbal to provide for flight control.  Each engine
produced roughly one and a half million pounds of thrust on kerosene and
liquid oxygen.  The combined kerosene and LOX flow rate was approximately
6,000 pounds per second per engine.  The first stage held 5,000,000 pounds
M/L of fuel and LOX and the five engines burnt it in roughly two and a half
minutes.  As I recall there were two 6-8 inch fuel lines per engine and a
single 12-16 inch LOX line per engine and all lines had high capacity/high
pressure pumps.

The test stand at Marshall just tested a single engine - I could only
imagine what five going off at once would be like.  I was at Launch Complex
39 a couple of times but never for a launch.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington