[AT] Visit from list members - Home again

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun May 2 18:52:06 PDT 2004

SEITHR at denison.edu wrote:

> Francis Robinson (Farmer), Larry Dotson, and their wives came to visit today.
> They met Barkley Beagle, who, true to form, peed at their feet. They also saw
> the fussy 1953 Cub and didn't laugh--too much.
>
> Purpose of the trip was for Farmer to pick up some items I have listed a while
> back as giveaways. I'm always looking to thin out the collection. 'WAY too
> much stuff follows me home. Heck, less than an hour after they left, I was
> bringing home about 50 classical LP records a former professor gave me. I
> won't be keeping them all, but I'll be doing a good bit of listening for the
> next couple of weeks.
>
> Weather held for the visit and they were able to inspect the acreage at 116
> Locust Place. I might remind that my "farm" is a grand 1/20th of an acre,
> complete with dwarf fruit trees, raised vegetable beds (not yet planted), all
> manner of things in pots, and a lot of optimism. This year's crop of tomato
> plants are in the cold frames. They'll be ready about the time we hit the
> frost-free stage around here (which is usually around May 20-25).
>
> Farmer got a secondhand power head that will work on his ShopSmith, an old
> post drill I had in the cellar, and a fancy "do nothing" machine that is an
> old air pump with check valves I can't fix. If he can find some kind of
> replacements, more power to him. It has a good electric motor on it, in any
> case.
>
> Wave after wave of thunderstorms are now washing through. I hope everybody got
> home safe. It's supposed to be fairly nasty here for the next 18 hours.
>
> It was a pleasure to meet fellow list members. My experience has been that
> they are invariably kind and interesting individuals.
>
> Bob Seith
> 1953 Cub

	I have yet to have less than a great visit with ATIS folks.
This was no exception... Great lunch with Bob, Gene and
Tinkerbelle. Heck, I even managed to keep my shoes dry when
I met Barkley.   :-)   I still have not unloaded the trunk
yet. Always fun to visit with other victims of the dreaded
"collect stuff" elves. After we left the Seith vegetable
farm and orchard we took a drive around Granville and
discovered a well kept secret. They probably don't want too
many people to know this but Granville Ohio is one to the
nicest towns I have ever explored... I can say that I have
never been impressed by a town like that, just a nice place.
We never did find the slum zone. That Dennison campus is
just beautiful.
	BTW' we did manage to hit that yard sale before we left
town, now we have even more stuff.   :-)  Found a couple of
more later. Since the straight line drive on I-70 from Indy
to east of Columbus OH is rather generic, Diana suggested
that we take a different road home. The short cut we took
managed to include spending all of the morning this morning
prowling around Harrison County Kentucky trolling for some
of my ancestors. Do we know how to take short cuts or
what...   :-)
	It rained a bit all morning but we still managed to explore
several cemeteries. We also took the Robinson Road to
Robinson KY and to the Robinson Christian Church. In
addition to being a village of almost 6 houses, according to
the graffiti on a nearby RR underpass it also has its own
"street gang".
	I've been to Harrison County before and I don't aim to
embarrass any one from the area but it quickly becomes
obvious that Harrison county has suffered badly economically
for quite a few years. If you have ever wondered where all
of the old junk cars and ragged out old mobile homes
disappeared to I think I can tell you... Great folks I am
sure but many of them really live a little differently. I
have a lot more than my share of junk but I try to keep most
it a little toward the back.  :-)   Ironically it shows by
many of the old houses and barns etc. that at one time years
ago many of the folks were fairly affluent. It looks to be
coming back a little. As in the last time I was there I was
amazed at how many acres of land just look abandoned. The
land is extremely hilly but grows grass very well. I'm
surprised there are so few herds of beef cattle there are. I
saw a lot of "parked" tractors there. Mostly Farmall A's and
B's etc. The favorite "running" tractors were Ford 8N's with
the wheels sat out and a bush-hog on the back. I'm sure that
if there were any easy answers they would have already found
them. Its just hard to grasp walking away from a farm when
you live where there is so much competition for land. A few
years ago when they let the bids for cash rent of 178 acres
of grain land at the local county farm here it went for
almost $200 an acre. I'm not sure what they are getting now.
	We spent the night at Florence KY in Boone County where my
g-grandfather and gg-grandfather once lived. We started
looking for a motel and since there seemed to be some kind
of horse track activity or the other that some felt was
important the rates were up a good bit. Now some of you may
have heard that I am prone to pinch a penny now and then. We
drove around checking rates and found a Motel 6. Sure enough
they had left a light on for us.   :-)  They only had one
room left and it was "down for maintenance". Seems the AC
wasn't working but she could give me a little discount...
Shucks I don't have AC in the house and I've never even
tried the AC in the Lincoln, maybe it works, maybe it
doesn't. When the dust settled she had rented us the double
room with broken AC for $26.99 for the night. Hell's bells,
we slept under blankets all night, who needed AC.   ;-)
The room was spotless and very nice but the TV had way too
many commercials installed on it.   :-)

--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net