[AT] Was: Farmall tractor; Now, valve stems

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Sat May 1 10:11:13 PDT 2004

> I hear you loud and clear on the valve stem problem, George.  Those
> TR13's are just the wrong length and are always jammed up against the
> hub.

Larry,

The problem here is even more severe.  There is only 1" from the base of the
stem to the hub.  There is also only 1" sideways from the center of the hole
to the edge of the rim, and the yoke of the caster runs very close to the
rim.  It's only possible to remove the cap and get the gauge or air chuck on
by bending the stem sideways.  Every time I do it I'm sure it will be the
last time.  These tires and rims are about 6 years old, and have been a
problem right from new.  A stem only half as long as the TR13 would be
better, but I doubt they even make one.

I remember the days when footballs and basketballs had a stem that had to be
tied up behind the lacing... but they got clever many years ago and made
then so they could be inflated with a needle.  Why couldn't we get rich
making the little mower tires inflate the same way?... slobber on the needle
and insert it through the hole in the sidewall with a built-in valve?  The
market would be HUGE!

The next thing I intend to try is to put a stack of rubber washers over the
stem of the tube inside the rim to shorten it.

George Willer