[AT] Names that have become generic

Tim Bivens bivenshill at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 12:39:02 PST 2004

George,
Are you pulling our leg here? LOL. It only makes sense
to me for it to be called a starter since it "starts"
the engine. In the same sense a generator is called a
generator because it generates, a condenser is called
such because it condenses and so forth. Isn't commence
just a synonym for start? Why would one be more
correct than the other? Might be just as correct to
call it a "cranker". I am sure the word "start" was
around a long time before Charles Kettering. Whether
you are pulling our legs or not I am getting a big
laugh out of this.

Tim Bivens, Glen Rose, Texas