[AT] Names that have become generic

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Wed Mar 31 07:43:18 PST 2004

One of the most important part for a tractor is "FATG" and the new universal
fixer upper is "Shim Stock" (the achieve the proper metalurgy this must be
produced in close proximity to a roaring Dotson Inferno)

When I was younger (yesterday or earlier) The term Bendix was the name of
the "starter drive" along with Bendix Spring.

In the mid 50's after eating lunch one day my 50 model Mercury would not
start the starter just made a whiring sound. I walked a block down Elgin
street in Tulsa Oklahoma to Smith Auto Electric and told them of my delima.
The service manager jumped in his little Crosley or some such and with a
piece of rope we towed the Merc. back to the shop.  After work that evening
I went to retreve my old car, and faced a repair bill of about $7.00 for the
tow and R&R the starter and replace the bolt in the Bendix Spring.  These
folks did good work and were not robbers.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA